Monday, September 28, 2009

Criminal Intent




After I fired Ed Hodges and company in January 2005, I began to notice that he had used the phrase "Semper Occultus" on some of his documents, as the examples show here; I noticed that he also had this phrase posted on his company's website. This website, which was the only one he ever directed me to, appears to have been set up around the time I first contacted Hodges, and it advertises international investigations his company had supposedly performed for Fortune 500 companies. (At the same time, the man from my church who'd recommended Hodges to me was telling me the same sort of things.)
Because Hodges and his associates only directed me to their own website and never told me about Texas DPS/PSB licensing rules and procedures or the DPS/PSB website for verifying private investigator licenses, I did not discover they'd committed numerous and repeated serious DPS violations: use of an unlicensed company, not being licensed to work for that company, impersonation of a licensed private security guard and private investigator, fake license number, no information on DPS website provided, no required DPS information on their correspondence, improper attire for private security guards, improper and fraudulent charges and invoices, no report or other materials provided when I requested them by certified mail, documented lies to me about having used private investigators "from a school in San Antonio", and more.
Although I complained repeatedly to the DPS/PSB, they refused to take disciplinary action against any of these people. I then filed a complaint with the TX OAG, but they too refused to do anything, so I began complaining to various national consumer organizations and providing them with copies of sample documentation. Eventually I received a call from DPS Trooper Taft Green saying Hodges' license (which he'd belatedly been granted) had been suspended pending an investigation. About six months later, I happened to check the DPS/PSB website and discovered that Hodges' p. i. license had been revoked, which no one with the DPS had ever bothered to notify me of. I also discovered that NONE of the other individuals who committed serious violations in my case had been disciplined in any way, even though I'd filed separate and well-documented complaints against them as well.
After learning Hodges' license had been revoked, I filed an open records request with the DPS for copies of all documents related to this. The DPS first tried to claim they never received my request; then they insisted I send them a money order to cover copying costs that supposedly somehow got lost in the mail (I have the mailing receipt for this) and then magically turned up when I filed a USPS complaint (with a very unusual signature card!). The documents I eventually received were incomplete, contained numerous false statements, were only partially signed, and in one case, listed my name with my ex-husband's address!

No comments: